skip to content

Cambridge University Reporter


How do I submit an item for publication in the Reporter?

Send notices for publication to the Reporter team at; the text of the notice should either be in the body of the email, or attached as a Word document.

What is the deadline for submitting items to the Reporter?

The deadline for receiving short notices (such as job vacancies, lecture and seminar listings, and College notices) is 4pm on Friday for publication the following Wednesday. For longer notices (such as Faculty Board notices, regulation changes, class-lists, and so on) we would like to receive the notice as early as possible - and by 10am on Thursday the week before publication at the latest.

How do I know what layout, format, or style to submit items in?

Please see the examples of notices given in the ‘Reporter sections and terminology' section.We will be adding further information on house style, and more detailed guidance on submitting notices in due course. If you have any queries about how to format your notice please contact the Reporter Editors.

Can anybody submit an item for publication in the Reporter?

Inclusion of notices in the Reporter is always at the discretion of the Editors. We carry notices from all Cambridge University Faculties, Departments, Colleges, and Institutions, as well as those from the University Offices. We only publish external notices (such as vacancies or event notifications) from Oxford University, or from other external organisations which have a direct link to the University, or are of particular relevance to the readers of the Reporter. We do not publish classified adverts or notices from unrelated organisations.

How much does it cost to publish a notice in the Reporter?

There is no charge for any notices or advertisements to be published in the Reporter; this applies to all Cambridge University Faculties, Departments, Colleges, or other related institutions, as well as Oxford University. (There is a reciprocal arrangement in place so that Cambridge Faculties, Departments, Colleges, and Institutions, can, likewise, advertise for free in the Oxford Gazette.)

How do I sign up to the Reporter mailing list?

Go to the Reporter home page and click on the blue ‘Join the mailing list’ button. You will be asked to enter your name and the email address to which you would like the email alert to be sent. Once subscribed, an email will be sent to you each week, notifying you when the Reporter is published. The email alert contains a link to that week’s edition of the Reporter (both as a PDF and to the online version), as well as a list of that week's contents with links to each section, so you can get a quick overview of what is in that edition, and see which sections are most relevant to you. There is no cost for this service.

Can I obtain a printed version of the Reporter?

A printable PDF of each week’s Reporter is available online at the top of each edition’s contents page; a link to the PDF is also provided on the weekly email alert. If you would prefer to be sent a printed copy of the Reporter each week, you can subscribe to receive a hard copy from Cambridge Print Solutions. You should contact them directly to arrange this; they will also be able to let you know the current subscription costs.

Who can see the Reporter online?

The Reporter is in the public domain, and accessible to all. However, certain sections and special editions are only viewable to those in the Cam-only domain (see below).

Why are there two different versions of the Reporter online?

In order to fulfil the requirements of the Data Protection Act, and to ensure that students’ names are not easily trackable via a search engine, any sections of the Reporter which contain students’ names (such as Class-lists, Congregation lists, and awards listings), are restricted to those within the Cam-domain (that’s to say, those who either have an active Raven account and/or are using a computer connected to the University network). Similarly, any notices which contain student names are redacted from the 'public' version of the Reporter PDF; the ‘full’ version (containing student names) is only electronically accessible to University members, or those on the University network. Copies printed and held by the University Library or the Colleges will likely be the full versions.

What is a Reporter special?

Special issues of the Reporter are published periodically during the academical year; each edition covers a particular area, and is published at the same time each year. Specials include the preliminary and promulgated Roll of the Regent House, the list of University officers, members of the Faculties, Fellows of the Colleges, and members of University bodies (committees, boards, syndicates, etc.).

What is an extraordinary edition of the Reporter?

Extraordinary editions of the Reporter are published occasionally, in addition to the weekly ordinary edition. The Annual Reports of the Council and the General Board is always published as an extraordinary edition; other topics which have been covered in extraordinary editions include North West Cambridge and the Technical Review of the Statutes and Ordinances.

How do I look up something in an archive Reporter which is not published on the web (i.e. a Reporter from before 1997-98)?

For the years prior to 1997-98, you will need to consult a hard copy of the Reporter. A complete archive of the Reporters is available at Cambridge University Library, the British Library, or each College library.

Who reads the Reporter? Why is the Reporter relevant to me?

The Reporter is read by thousands of University and College members - academic staff, administrative staff, and students - as well as those outside the University with an interest in its affairs. It keeps people informed about current issues and developments within the University, and some of the wider issues in HE. The Reporter enables University and College members to see exactly what is being proposed by the University's governing bodies (in particular in the Reports and Graces sections), or find out when there is a ballot on a particular proposal. By reading the transcript of the Discussion, as well as the Council's (or other relevant body's) response to the Discussion remarks, readers can discover exactly what was talked about, and how the University responded to the remarks. They may also find an event, a lecture, or a job vacancy advertised which is of interest to them. The Reporter is of particular relevance to staff members who are on the Roll of the Regent House, enabling them to engage in the governance processes of the University.